Catching Points - a food blog

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Vindaloo Pork



I was going through a faze where I acctually missed being in India, even though when I was there I hated it. I felt so out of place and watched. It was hard to blend in when you're extremely pale and blonde, especially when me and my friend travelled in land to see all the amazing things India has to offer.
I still missed it, because I grew and I experienced. I was amazed by India and DID vowed to come back but with a man by my side, as it seemed to put some men off from staring too hard...
In India, the food tasted so much better and so much more different than any indian resturant I had tried here in Sweden, well of course it did considering they have the fresh ingredients. Well I surfed the net to try to find some recipes of indian cuisine and found World-recipes which is awesome because now I can try other countries foods aswell!
Vindaloo sounded awesome so I decided to give it a try.

Vindaloo
(I only made a third of this recipe which was enough for four people)

2" piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
11/2 tsp hot chilli powder
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs cardamom seeds
6 whole cloves
6 peppercorns
2" cinnamon stick
2 Tbs coriander seeds
2 Tbs cumin seeds
2 Tbs wine vinegar
2 lb pork fillet
4 curry leaves (optional)
3 Tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
5 fl oz water

Put the ginger, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric, salt, cardamom,
cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, coriander and cumin seeds with the vinegar into a blender and blend to a puree. Scrape down the sides of the blender and blend for a further 30 seconds. (I only had a food processor and it did NOT work as well, things just wouldn't be crushed) Add more vinegar if necessary to form a smooth liquid paste.

Put the pork in a large bowl and pour over the spice paste. Cover and set aside to marinate for 1 hour. Lay the curry leaves, if you are using them, on top. Re-cover and put the bowl into the refrigerator for 24 hours, turning the meat two or three times during the period. (My refrigerator smelled wonderful, acctually the marinade smelled so intoxicatingly good that I decided to keep some of it and make a sauce on it)

Two hours before cooking time remove the bowl from the fridge and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and cover the pan. Fry the seeds until they pop then add the pork, marinade and water and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer for a further 30 minutes or until the pork is cooked through and tender.

Transfer the vindaloo to a warmed serving dish and serve at once.

I served this with rice and some fried carrots. Since my blender didn't really mash all the ingredients in the marinade together it was impossible to let it stay on the pork and eat, but after removing it with a knife it didn't matter because it had all soaked into the pork and it was absolutely delicious.
I made a sauce from the marinade by using the same pan I'd used for the pork and added the marinade and some half and half. I then sifted it to get a smooth sauce. Everyone should try this, it's worth the time and effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home