Catching Points - a food blog

Friday, April 21, 2006

Pickled Pears in Rum



So I bought that huge bottle of rum for my birthday. Havana Club to be exact. I took that one as it's the one to make the best mojito with, I was told. Problem is, I'm not an avid drinker, well except beer, which I should give up... in due time. So what to do with my expenisve bottle of rum (except let my boyfriend drink it, which I'd rather not). Well my darling love's grandmother turns 86 tomorrow, and last year they all apparently forgot her (poor thing) so I've been hearing her say It's my borthday in a month... It's my birthday in a week all the time and I felt so bad for her that she had to point it out. I remember last year when we went for her birthday brunch (that she had to fix herself), Daniel bought her a jar of pickled pears. Just a simple, cheap jar of pickled pears. She likes them he said. Yeah well she can buy her own. Where was the thought in it? There was none.
So this year I decided to make her her own pickled pears. Homemade. With a splash of nice rum in them.

Pickled Pears in Rum
pears, halved and ínsides removed (or what you prefer to pickle)
1 part white vinegar
1 part water
2 parts sugar
vanilla cane
½ part of rum (or to taste)

The reason I write in parts instead of exact measurements is because it all depends on how many pears you've got and how big your jar is. Just play by ear or should I say eye. You'll know how much will fit, and now you know the ratio.
Cook the vinegar, water, sugar and vanilla can (that you've cut open and scraped the vanilla seeds from, and put all into the mix) for about 10 minutes. It'll get a sour vinegar smell but that's ok. Add the pears and let them simmer a short while. You don't want them easily prickled through, just a little soft.

Put the pears in the jar, mix the rum into the lightly cooler fluid, taste it to make sure you like the ratio. Pour the fluids over the pear, put a lid on and let it rest for a couple of weeks.

I made sure I had a nice jar to put the pears in, everything in presentation right?

2 Comments:

  • How did it go? I'm sure she was more than happy to have someone make her birthday present - you're a sweetie.

    By Blogger Erin Eats, At 8:54 AM  

  • she loved it but thought she'd get drunk if she ate any ;) so I have no idea if it's any good...

    By Blogger Lexi, At 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home