Catching Points - a food blog

Monday, March 06, 2006

Swedish Meatballs

Before I start I must confess that this week of absent has been because of a huge move combined with completely endulging in things I havne't let myself eat for a while. Bad Lex BAAAAD Lex. hopefully things are going back to normal starting now.

raw balls Erin made meatballs with a seasoning pack and somewhere inside I could feel my body cringe by the thought because is there anything simpler than to make extremely tasty meatballs??
Some people make them of only lean ground beef but I prefer to use 2 parts beef and one part pork. It makes the meatballs juicier and tastier. Here's the recipes for meatballs (every swede will say theirs is the standard but I guess we all have our own way of making them but when it comes down to it they are basically all the same), also for the sauce and simple mashed potatoes...
And since the stores hardly ever have small packages of meat these days, I made alot of meatballs and froze them in the freezer, so next time I wont have to do them from scratch.

Meatballs
800 g (approx 1,67 lb) ground beef
500 g (approx 1,10 lb) ground pork
3 dl (approx 1,27 cups) oat grain
3 dl cream (I used 17% fat, it's worth the points, the taste is great)
2,3 Tbsp potato starch (or cornstarch)
3 eggs
3 onions
3 cloves garlic
salt (by taste)
peppar (by taste)
soy (by taste)


Start with putting the grain in a large bowl. Mix in the starch and then soak it in the cream. Let it sit and swell for atleast 10 minutes.
While the grain swells, chop the onions and garlic and fry it gently to just soften it up, don't let it get any colour.
Mix all ingredients in the grain once it's done swelling, try not to mix too long and the best tools.. are your hands...
Once mixed choose cooking style. Either you fry eveyrhting in a pan or in the oven. the oven is easier for larger bashes but the pan gives them a better colour. If you choose the oven (like I did for this huuuuuge batch) put it on 275 degrees celcius (527 F). Roll consistant size of the balls. If you choose small ones make sure they are all small so they have the same cooking time. If you can't do that by hand, use a measurement like for instant a tablespoon.
I made 120+ meatballs from this batch which meant each ball was about 1 point. The entire dough was 114 points rounded up. Knowing that just make the amount you have the energy for.



For the sauce (for 4 people)
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
5 dl (2 cups) stock (room temperature or cold)
2 Tbsp cream (17%)


The stock is from after you're done frying the meatballs, add water in the pan and let it simmer for a while and then keep it for the sauce. If you don't think it tastes enough add a square of meatbouillon (I try not to because of hte artificial flavourings).
Melt the butter in a pot, mix in the flour and take the pot of the heat, add a bit of hte stock and mix until the butterflour mix is mixed in completely to the fluids. Add the rest of the stock and then put the pot back to the heat. Whisk until it starts to boil, and then let it simmer an thicken for atleast 3 minutes. If you want to add some soysauce for colouring and sealth taste yourself through it. Add the cream in the end.




Mashed potatoes for 4
about 7 big potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
½ cup milk

Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes, cook until extremely soft, pour off almost all the water, mix or press the potatoes into a mash and mix with the butter and the milk. Nutmeg is a tasty twist to it aswell.

3 Comments:

  • Anja! These look fabulous! I really appreciate you taking the time out to do this, and I will certainly try these in the next few weeks - I'm sure they'll be delicious. I'm aaaaaaaalll about the ground pork, yanno.

    Don't feel bad for indulging, it's actually good for you, every now and then. I guess, the key for me has been to go ahead and indulge, NOT feel guilty about it, and then, the next day, or next meal, get back on with my diet as usual. Where as before, I would be dieting dieting dieting, then I'd indulge and that would be the end of the diet, lol, not so good.

    By Blogger Erin Eats, At 8:00 PM  

  • You already know I said Anja but meant Lexi... I had just read "Anja" on your site and it stuck in my head, I guess... DUH ERIN!

    By Blogger Erin Eats, At 8:02 PM  

  • I'm not exactly sure what oat grain is, so... would grinding up whole oats work? I'm making this for dinner tonight, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

    By Blogger Erin Eats, At 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home