Catching Points - a food blog

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Puttenesca

There are few easier or tastier pasta sauces than a puttenesca.
My mum taught me this sauce at a young age and told me something about how it's the poor womans food, basically the idea originally was to use what you've got at home, but the main ingredient is anjovies.
The key ingredient is time. You have to let it simmer for quite a while to let it thicken and let all the flavours wed as my mum would say.
This is just out way of making puttenesca, I know alot of people as with meatballs, have their own idea of what is right. Just experiment and use what you've got. I hardly ever got any fresh herbs at home at this point (being broke and it being winter) but basil is excellent for this dish!



Puttenesca serves 2, 1pt/pers
1 pkg (50g/0,11 lbs) of Key sardelles/anjovies (I use sardelles rolled with capers)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
chili
peppar
2 ripe tomatoes

Start with putting a pot with water to boil. Cut cracks into the tomatoes and put them into the water for a short while. This is to peal them and not to cook them so a few minutes will do. When done, peel them under cold water. If it's a hassle just use a can of whole tomatoes, but don't use the juice and the taste is not as good as fresh tomatoes.
Put a pan on low heat, put the anjovies with it's oil in it and mash them together with a fork. Add both the onion and garlic and mix together. Fry until the onion is getting a bit softer. Add the chili, as much or as little as you prefer but remember since this is supposed to boil a while, the taste and heat hightens.
Chop the tomatoes into really small pieces and add them to the mix and let it all simmer on a really low heat but for a really long time. You want the tomatoes to be completely mushy and you want as much fluid to boil off as possible. Taste to see if you need to season it any more. Enjoy with your favorite pasta!

2 Comments:

  • You know, I've never cooked with anchovies. I did try this recipe for Tilapia with Citrus Bagna Cauda, but I was on vacation and could only find anchovy paste - I don't know the size of an anchovy fillet, so I had to guess on the amount of paste - and it came out tasting awful.. we ended up just sqeezing fresh lemon and orange juice over the fish. I can imagine they're pretty tasty when cooked in things like this puttanesca, it looks delicious.

    By Blogger Erin Eats, At 1:08 AM  

  • Well anchovies have a very distinct taste. Some hate it some love it, and if you're not sure which you are, start of slow ;)
    I think I'll try that reciepe it sounds amazing mmmmmm

    By Blogger Lexi, At 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home